Advance for Health Information Professionals:Modifiers- Friend or Foe?
“Modifiers fall into two categories,” stated AAPC member Carol Courtney, CPC in the most recent edition of “Coding Corner” for Advance for Health Information Professionals. She continued:
1. Current procedure terminology (CPT): consist of two digits, and both are numeric. CPT modifiers affect reimbursement.
2. Healthcare Common Procedure Coding System (HCPCS): consist of two digits, but they can be either two alphas or an alpha and a numeric digit. HCPCS modifiers generally are informational.
The article gives a solid rundown of some troublesome and often confusing modifiers.
Read the full article here.
- Get the FAQs About Split/Shared Visits - November 1, 2022
- It Pays to Participate in AAPC’s Annual Salary Survey - September 1, 2022
- Top Missed HCC Codes - December 1, 2021