Be Ready for 5010 Enforcement
Version 5010 enforcement begins April 1, having been postponed from Jan. 1 to allow providers, payers, and vendors to catch up. Here are some tips to help you be ready when the time comes.
- Complete both internal and external testing of Version 5010 transactions. Conduct tests with vendors, clearinghouses, and payers. Take the following steps to evaluate your vendor and vendor products to ensure a timely Version 5010 upgrade:
- Establish a tracking system and timeline for milestones.
- Review existing and new contractual obligations with vendors.
- Coordinate vendor capabilities with your practice needs and expectations.
- Evaluate ease of use of vendor products.
- Ask your vendor the following questions about the Version 5010 upgrade to help assess your readiness for this upgrade:
- Have they upgraded their systems to meet Version 5010 standards?
- If they have not yet upgraded, when will they do so?
- What will it cost you for each upgrade?
- What versions of their software will be upgraded, and will these upgrades require any additional hardware upgrades?
- How often will updates occur and what is the delivery method?
- How are issues logged and how will they be addressed?
- Is there training available for new system changes and/or functionalities?
Visit the CMS ICD-10 website for additional information and resources about the Version 5010 upgrade. Check with your clearinghouse and Medicare Administrative Contractor (MAC) for answers and tips.
- Get the FAQs About Split/Shared Visits - November 1, 2022
- It Pays to Participate in AAPC’s Annual Salary Survey - September 1, 2022
- Top Missed HCC Codes - December 1, 2021