PECOS Easier to Use Than Ever, CMS Says
Based on provider feedback, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) has made several upgrades to the Provider Enrollment, Chain, and Ownership System (PECOS) to increase access to more information.
The following upgrades are now available:
- Providers/suppliers can now submit their entire enrollment application including supporting documentation electronically with the new digital document feature. For more information, see the “Digital Documents Repository How to Guide” on the CMS website.
- Individual providers who reassign benefits to individuals/organizations with multiple practice locations can designate a primary and secondary practice location where services are rendered. This is recommended, but not required.
- Providers/suppliers are now able to enter multiple contact persons in the Contact Information section and identify the contact’s relationship to the provider/supplier.
- At least one managing employee will now be required when submitting a CMS 855A, CMS 855B, and CMS 855S enrollment application. Applications that do not include at least one managing employee will receive an error message in Internet-based PECOS under the Error/Warning Check tab and will not be able to proceed with submitting the enrollment application. Internet-based PECOS will also recommend that at least one owner is entered for a CMS 855A, CMS 855B and CMS 855S application. Applications that do not include at least one owner will receive a warning message under the Error/Warning Check tab in Internet-based PECOS. This warning message will not prevent the user from submitting the enrollment application.
- Providers/suppliers now have the option to select “County” in the “Geographic Location” topic when identifying the geographic location where services are rendered for CMS 855A and CMS 855B enrollment applications.
- The CMS 855O paper application, used to enroll in Medicare solely to order and refer services, has been redesigned; those changes are now reflected in Internet-based PECOS.
To access the internet-based PECOS, go to the PECOS website.
Latest posts by admin aapc (see all)
- Message From Your Region 6 Representatives | Pam Tienter and Jean Pryor - January 16, 2020
- Message From Your Region 3 Representatives | Astara Crews and Dianne Estes - January 16, 2020
- Message From Your Region 7 Representatives | Robert Kiesecker and Pam Brooks - January 16, 2020