CMS Rule Defines Stage 2 Meaningful Use
If you want to be compliant with Stage 2 meaningful use requirements, you can read the 672 page final rule released by U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS), and the Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology (ONC). Hospitals and other providers must satisfy these requirements to receive funding under the second phase of the federal electronic health record (EHR) incentive program.
- Clarify that Stage 2 will begin as early as 2014. No providers will be required to follow the Stage 2 requirements before 2014.
- Outline the criteria for certification of EHR technology, so eligible professionals and hospitals are assured the systems they use will work, help them meaningfully use health information technology, and qualify them for incentive payments.
- Modify the certification program to cut red tape and make the certification process more efficient.
- Allow current “2011 Edition Certified EHR Technology” to be used until 2014.
The CMS final rule also provides a flexible reporting period for 2014 to give providers sufficient time to adopt or upgrade to the latest EHR technology certified for 2014.
Get more information:
- Read the fact sheet on CMS’ final rule.
- View the detailed fact sheet on ONC’s standards and certification criteria final rule.
- Learn more about Stage 2 meaningful use on the CMS EHR Incentive Programs website.
Latest posts by admin aapc (see all)
- Message From Your Region 6 Representatives | Pam Tienter and Jean Pryor - January 16, 2020
- Message From Your Region 3 Representatives | Astara Crews and Dianne Estes - January 16, 2020
- Message From Your Region 7 Representatives | Robert Kiesecker and Pam Brooks - January 16, 2020