Advance: Take a Closer Look at the Audit Process
Performing an audit can be quite a cumbersome endeavor and is a heavy responsibility. Jaci Johnson, CPC, CPC-H, CPMA, CPC-I, CEMC, a member of the AAPC National Advisory Board, recently penned an article about the audit process for Advance for Health Information Professionals. In the article Ms. Johnson explains the different steps and considerations involved from the time someone in the practice decides to request an audit until the results are tabulated and presented. Her suggestions include accounting for the following questions.
- Why is the audit being performed?
- What is the audit time frame?
- How many claims should be reviewed?
- Which coding and documentation guidelines and rules must the auditor know?
- Which reference tools should be used?
- What are the signature requirements?
- Have the dates of service been verified?
- Who will receive the audit results?
Read the full article.