Physicians Practice: How to Ensure Accurate Medical Coding
In small to midsized practices, failing to educate staff about correct coding may contribute to the practice’s downfall. Medical coding errors can be a huge source of lost revenue. A recent article in Physicians Practice reviews common billing and coding mistakes and offers suggestions on avoiding them. Several AAPC members were interviewed and quoted in the article as experts in the field, including Lynn Anderanin, CPC, CPC-I, COSC; Nancy Enos, CPC, CPMA, CPC-I, CEMC; Raemarie Jimenez, CPC, CPMA, CPPM, CPC-I, CANPC, CRHC; Debra Seyfried, CPC; and Cynthia Stewart, CPC, CPC-H, CPMA, CPC-I.
The solutions offered include:
- Internal auditing
- Dedicating staff to following up on denials
- Verifying patients’ personal and insurance information
- Reviewing how to correctly use modifiers
- Teaching physicians what documentation is needed
- Learning the most recent code changes
Read the full article.