Prepare for eHealth Milestones
The year is more than half over, and the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) is already advising providers and groups to prepare for a number of 2014 deadlines affecting electronic health record (EHR) programs.
Most proximate is Jan. 1, 2014, on which the following deadlines are set:
- Administrative simplification operating rules for electronic funds transfers and remittance advice.
- Stage 2 for eligible professionals (EPs) beginning their third or fourth year of participation in the Medicare and Medicaid EHR Incentive Programs.
- Final eRx payment adjustment of 2 percent will be applied. EPs subject to the payment adjustment will receive 98 percent of their Medicare Physician Fee Schedule amount for covered professional services.
More deadlines come Feb. 28, 2014:
- EPs must submit 2013 data by this date to receive Physician Quality Reporting System (PQRS) incentive payments for that year.
- EPs participating in the electronic Reporting Pilot must submit quality data to satisfy both PQRS and clinical quality measures requirements of the EHR incentive program.
- EPs must register and attest to demonstrating meaningful use for the EHR incentive program to receive the 2013 year incentive payment in full.
Two big deadlines come Oct. 1, 2014:
- In case you’ve been stranded on a desert island for the last couple of years, CMS wants to remind you ICD-10 replaces ICD-9 on this day, after years of transition. Diagnoses and inpatient procedures will be reported with the new-to-the-United States coding system.
- This is the last day for Medicare EPs who haven’t participated in the EHR incentive program to being their 90 days of meaningful use for 2014. Not only will EPs fail to earn an incentive if this is not completed, but they will be subject to payment adjustments, beginning with 1 percent deduction. Payment adjustments are cumulative for every year an EP doesn’t participate.
Payers will switch to ICD-10 beginning Oct. 1, 2014, as well; and large payers must have a Health Plan Identifier by then, too.