AAPC’s CEO: ICD-10 Assessment Options Updated
I am grateful for the opportunity I’ve had to interact with many of you over the past few months at regional conferences, in local chapter meetings, over the phone, and via email. I’m committed to listening to you, learning from you, and implementing changes to improve the way AAPC serves you.
I have heard significant concern surrounding the requirement to complete a timed ICD-10-CM Proficiency Assessment as a condition of continued certification. The intent of the mandatory proficiency assessment is to protect the integrity of credentials by assuring all holders can demonstrate proficiency within ICD-10-CM.
I am pleased to announce an additional option to demonstrate ICD-10-CM proficiency that both maintains a focus on the integrity of your credential and responds to the expressed needs and feedback of members.
To ensure employers’ continued confidence in a credential holder’s ability to accurately code for current code sets, and to reinforce the high standards set by our certifications, AAPC members holding CPC®, CPC-H®, CPC-P®, CPC-I®, a coding specialty (excluding CIRCC®), or CPMA® must demonstrate proficiency in ICD-10-CM through one of the two methods outlined below by September 30, 2015 (one year after ICD-10 implementation) in order to maintain their credential(s).
Choose one of these two proficiency demonstration options:
- At Your Own Pace Assessment — ICD-10-CM Online Code Set Training – Online assessment course including complete ICD-10-CM General Code Set Training coupled with 150 questions and cases you can complete at your own pace.
- Timed Assessment — Timed Proficiency Assessment – 75 multiple-choice, case-based questions you must complete in 3.5 hours.
Proficiency Choices Side by Side
The following table helps explain the differences between the two proficiency demonstration options:
|Option 1: At Your Own Pace||Option 2: Timed|
|16-hour course with online exercises||Online exercises only|
|No time limit||Time limit (3.5 Hours)|
|Unlimited attempts||Two attempts|
|150 questions and cases||75 questions|
|Open book, online, unproctored||Open book, online, unproctored|
|$395- $595 (training + assessment)||$60 (includes two assessment attempts)|
Successful completion of one of these two options by September 30, 2015 will satisfy AAPC’s ICD-10-CM certification maintenance requirement and demonstrate proficiency of ICD-10-CM format and structure, groupings and categories of codes, ICD-10-CM official guidelines, and coding concepts.
Lots of Ways to Prepare
There are several ways to prepare for an assessment. Please note all training methods provided by AAPC include the At Your Own Pace Assessment option to prepare for ICD-10-CM and complete the assessment on your own time. And all are approved for CEUs!
Here are the preparation options available.
- ICD-10-CM Online Assessment Course Only – Prepare with a 16-hour online course, which includes complete ICD-10-CM code set training for a total of 16 CEUs. The course contains multimedia presentations, an instructional manual, and evaluation quizzes to demonstrate proficiency.
- ICD-10-CM Conference + Online Assessment Course – Prepare by attending a three-day training at a regional conference. The conference includes complete ICD-10-CM code set training plus additional conference sessions for a total of 29 CEUs. In addition, you’ll have access to the At Your Own Pace Assessment option which can be finished online following the conference to demonstrate your proficiency.
- ICD-10-CM Boot Camp + Online Assessment Course – Prepare by attending a two-day comprehensive training in sites across the country. The boot camp includes complete ICD-10-CM code set training plus the online assessment course, which can be finished online following the boot camp to demonstrate your proficiency.
- ICD-10-CM On-site + Online Assessment Course – Prepare in your own facility with groups of 10 or more participants. The online assessment course can then be included and completed following the onsite training to demonstrate your proficiency.
- Local Chapter Boot Camp + Online Assessment Course – Prepare with participating chapters at a two-day training, which includes the option to add the ICD-10-CM online assessment course to demonstrate proficiency at your own pace.
With our continued commitment to better help and serve you, please feel free to contact us if you have any questions about preparing or demonstrating your proficiency. I look forward to working with you as we get closer to implementing ICD-10-CM coding.