Earn Five-star Ratings on CMS Home Health Compare
On July 16, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) released its first round of Home Health Compare Quality of Patient Care Star Ratings, which are published ratings to help consumers make educated choices about home health agencies. According to the July 16 CMS press release:
Star ratings can help consumers more quickly identify differences in quality and make use of the information when selecting a health care provider. In addition to summarizing certain data about Home Health Agency performance for consumers, star ratings can also help the agencies identify areas for improvement.
How it works: Each home health agency receives a “Quality of Patient Care Star Rating” summary of the agency’s performance on 9 of the 29 Home Health Compare quality measures already. The measures include:
- How often the home health team began their patients’ care in a timely manner.
- How often the home health team made sure that their patients have received a flu shot for the current flu season.
- How often the home health team taught patients (or their family caregivers) about their prescribed drugs.
- How often home health patients got better at walking or moving around.
- How often home health patients got better at getting in and out of bed.
- How often home health patients had less pain when moving around.
- How often home health patients got better at bathing.
- How often home health patients’ breathing improved.
- How often home health patients had to be admitted to the hospital.
Star ratings are publicly displayed on Nursing Home Compare, Physician Compare, Dialysis Facility Compare, the Medicare Advantage Plan Finder, and Hospital Compare Web pages.
The July 16 announcement follows a proposal to launch a Home Health Value Based Purchasing model that supports quality of care.
Latest posts by Michelle Dick (see all)
- Will Your Facility Be Prepared for Disaster in November? - June 26, 2017
- Ruling Gives Religion-based Hospitals Pension Exemption - June 7, 2017
- Big Hearts Take Tulsa to the Top - June 1, 2017