The American Academy of Professional Coders and Ingenix to Offer Comprehensive ICD-10 Implementation Training
Two industry-leading sources in medical coding join forces to offer ICD-10 implementation training to providers, outpatient clinics and health plans in preparation for the 2013 compliance deadline
SALT LAKE CITY—Dec. 17, 2009— The American Academy of Professional Coders and Ingenix today announced a collaborative training effort that will ensure physician practices, outpatient clinics and health plans are properly prepared to implement ICD-10 medical coding systems by the Oct. 1, 2013 compliance deadline set by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. The programs, which include on-site, Web-based and group training sessions, will be available beginning January 2010. They were developed by a team of experts led by nationally renowned ICD-10 authority Deborah Grider, CPC, CPC-I, CPC-H, CPC-P.
“By collaborating with Ingenix, we have created a one-stop shop for all health care professionals for ICD-10 training and implementation preparation,” said Reed Pew, AAPC president and CEO. “Although physicians, coders and staff do not need to learn the ICD-10-CM code set for another couple years, every medical practice and facility, small to large, and every health plan should begin preparing now for a smooth implementation. Our training program will do just that.”
Training elements include:
- Three-day on-site comprehensive implementation training sessions, which can be customized for individual facilities, health plans or practices
- Distance learning modules focused on specialty-specific training, such as guidelines and mapping from ICD-9-CM to ICD-10-CM along with code set training
- Fifteen-minute webcasts designed for physicians, non-physician practitioners and practice administrators
- ICD-10-specific breakout sessions at the AAPC’s 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013 national conferences
- A three-part webinar series tailored to physician practice specialties, including OB/GYN, cardiology, orthopaedics, family practice, internal medicine, pediatrics and general surgery
- Half-day workshops held in 65 cities around the country to help with progression through implementation benchmarks and to assist with understanding of new codes and data structures
- Preparation for the AAPC’s ICD-10 Proficiency Examination, which will be available from October 2012 through September 2014
- Eight regional conferences in 2013, held in locations across the country between January and May, which will offer general and specialty educational tracks
“The combined ICD-10 expertise of Ingenix and the AAPC will help all stakeholders in the health care system transition to this more complex and highly refined set of medical coding standards,” said Tom Darr, M.D., chief medical officer, Coding, Reimbursement and Payment Integrity, Ingenix. “These programs, which feature ICD-10 experts with more than 150 combined years of health care experience and supported by the accuracy of Ingenix’s coding resources, are well suited to help all stakeholders – from health plans to outpatient facilities, physician practices and government-related health care programs – make a smooth, timely transition.”
More information about the ICD-10 implementation training programs is available online at http://www.aapc.com/icd-10/training.aspx.
About the American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC)
The AAPC (www.aapc.com) is the nation’s largest medical coding training and certification association for medical coders. The AAPC provides credentials to medical coders in physician offices, outpatient facilities and payer environments. The certifications the AAPC offers are Certified Professional Coder (CPC®), Certified Professional Coder – Hospital (CPC-H®), Certified Professional Coder – Payer (CPC-P®) and Certified Professional Medical Auditor (CPMA®), as well as 19 specialty-specific credentials and the Certified Interventional Radiology Cardiovascular Coder® (CIRCC®) credential. These credentials represent the gold standard certifications for medical coding. The AAPC provides a wide variety of benefits to its 85,000 members worldwide.
Ingenix, a UnitedHealth Group (NYSE: UNH) company, is a leading provider of health information, technologies and consulting services. Organizations, institutions, businesses and government agencies that comprise the health care system depend on Ingenix solutions and insights to improve their performance. Visit www.ingenix.com for more information.
Latest posts by admin aapc (see all)
- Message From Your Region 7 Representatives | October 2018 - October 24, 2018
- Message From Your Region 6 Representatives | October 2018 - October 24, 2018
- Message From Your Region 5 Representatives | October 2018 - October 24, 2018