Quality Reporting Measures Under Consideration
Public comment is being accepted, for a limited time.
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) released on Nov. 22 the List of Measures Under Consideration (MUC) for 2016. The National Quality Forum (NQF) announced the same day that the Measure Applications Partnership (MAP) has begun its annual review of the list.
“MAP’s work is consensus-based and transparent to determine the best measures to assess quality,” said MAP Coordinating Committee co-chair Harold Pincus, MD, professor and vice chair of psychiatry at Columbia University and director of quality and outcomes research at New York-Presbyterian Hospital. ”That’s never been more important as consumers, payers, and policymakers demand more value from their healthcare services.”
Quality Measures Under Consideration
This year’s list contains 97 measures, including measures for nursing homes, hospitals, clinician practices, and dialysis facilities, among other settings. The focus continues to be on patient outcomes, appropriate use of diagnostics and services, cost, and patient safety.
These measures will be used for public reporting or payment purposes in programs such as the Merit-based Incentive Payment System (MIPS). Other applicable programs include:
- Ambulatory Surgical Center Quality Reporting Program (ASCQR)
- End-Stage Renal Disease Quality Incentive Program (ESRD QIP)
- Home Health Quality Reporting Program (HH QRP)
- Hospice Quality Reporting Program (HQRP)
- Hospital-Acquired Condition Reduction Program (HACRP)
- Hospital Inpatient Quality Reporting Program (HIQR)
- Hospital Outpatient Quality Reporting Program (HOQR)
- Hospital Readmissions Reduction Program (HRRP)
- Hospital Value-Based Purchasing Program (HVBP)
- Inpatient Psychiatric Facility Quality Reporting Program (IPFQR)
- Inpatient Rehabilitation Facility Quality Reporting Program (IRF QRP)
- Long-Term Care Hospital Quality Reporting Program (LTCH QRP)
- Medicare and Medicaid EHR Incentive Program for Eligible Hospitals (EHs) and Critical Access Hospitals (CAHs)
- Medicare Shared Savings Program (MSSP)
- Prospective Payment System (PPS)-Exempt Cancer Hospital Quality Reporting Program (PCHQR)
- Skilled Nursing Facility Quality Reporting Program (SNF QRP)
- Skilled Nursing Facility Value-Based Purchasing Program (SNF VBP)
There are 35 measures on the 2016 MUC List that could be used under MIPS beginning in the 2018 performance period.
Open for Public Comment
Review the MUC List and participate in the public process during the MAP review. The MUC List is open for public comment through Dec. 2, 2016, at 6 pm ET. MAP will deliver its recommended measures to CMS by Feb. 1, 2017, and publish its final reports in February and March.
Latest posts by Renee Dustman (see all)
- CMS Expands CPC-Plus Regions for Round 2 - May 18, 2017
- New Modifier Captures Noncovered Hemodialysis - May 16, 2017
- Coding/Billing Newly-covered Hepatitis B Screening - May 11, 2017