Social Media: Get “Linked In”
Do you use social media professionally, to help advance your career and to stay abreast of industry changes? What platform(s) do you use? Facebook? LinkedIn? Twitter? Pinterest? YouTube?
We’ve all read the articles reminding us to be mindful of what we post on social media, and how to restrict our privacy settings, etc. to ensure that our online profiles remain professional and something we don’t mind employers (or prospective employers) seeing. Although reputation—both in life and on social media—is essential, knowing how to get the most out of your time online and demonstrating your personal brand is also imperative.
Here’s a quick review of common platforms and a few of the great things about each:
- Facebook: A great place to keep in touch with personal and professional contacts, follow businesses, find CEU opportunities, network with other industry professionals (on pages and in groups such as the AAPC and AAPC Local Chapter Officer groups), etc.
- LinkedIn: A spot to keep in touch with contacts, receive articles on current industry trends, follow key organizations, find CEU opportunities, store personal work history and accomplishments, and to stay in the periphery of recruiters and potential employers.
- Twitter: Commentary on the day-in and day-out life events. This is most useful (in my opinion) for following industry organizations (including AAPC, AMA, etc.) and keeping abreast of current trends and emerging legislation.
- Pinterest: Ideas, ideas, ideas; for everything from business to family and education to dinner
- YouTube: Video content on just about any topic you can think of (and, some really great educational opportunities).
If you’re not a social media guru, don’t worry. Start out small, and focus on the resources that sound most likely to help you fulfill your goals.
AAPC's annual salary survey gives a good understanding of the earning potential within the medical coding profession.
See what actually is going on in the healthcare business job market.
About Chandra Stephenson Has 12 Posts
Comments are closed.