United States of Care: Healthcare over Politics
A diverse group of leaders, including former Acting Administrator of the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) Andy Slavitt, have come together to form a new movement that will champion the cause of affordable healthcare without mucking up the works with politics. They call it United States of Care.
Serving as Board Chair of United States of Care, Andy Slavitt said in a press release, “Time and time again, political agendas have wreaked havoc on health care initiatives, with outcomes favoring only certain Americans. It’s time to put the past behind us and move forward and engage in a dialogue with people across the country to find sustainable solutions that work for everyone.”
United States of Care stands for three simple principles:
- Every American should have an affordable regular source of health care for themselves and their families.
- All Americans should be protected from financial devastation due to illness or injury.
- Policies to achieve these aims must be economically responsible and win the political support needed to ensure long term stability.
In 2018, United States of Care board of directors say they will focus on:
- Harnessing On-the-Ground Learning: Listening to personal stories and local experts and harnessing public opinion to shape policies that reflect the hopes and concerns of the majority of Americans who don’t want to be without the care they need.
- Providing Policy Support: Providing resources and actionable approaches to state and federal policymakers, drawing on a wide range of expertise, facilitating stakeholder engagement, and connecting the dots between the interests of citizens and their elected representatives.
- Developing New Ideas: Identifying and developing new solutions that make progress toward the principles of expanding access to affordable care.
- Driving Real Change that improves the health and well being of Americans now and on a lasting basis.
United States of Care will begin by launching a national listening tour. Americans from across the country will be invited to lead the conversation and join the movement by visiting unitedstatesofcare.org.
Latest posts by Renee Dustman (see all)
- Medical Diagnosis: Spondylolisthesis - May 25, 2018
- July Brings Several Physician Service Code Updates - May 23, 2018
- Medical Diagnosis of the Day: Chikungunya - May 21, 2018