Patients Take Control of Their Health Data with Blue Button 2.0
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) announced a new government-wide initiative, MyHealthEData, that provides patients with control of their health data. MyHealthEData is a response to the Executive Order to Promote Healthcare Choice and Competition Across the United States, issued by President Trump last year.
The initiative’s aim is to:
- Empower patients, so every American can control their own medical data.
- Break down barriers that prevent patients from electronic access.
- Have patients control their own health records from any device or application of choice.
- Let patients choose the provider that best meets their needs.
- Give a patient’s chosen provider secure access to their healthcare data.
- Stimulate greater physician competition to help reduce costs.
To help bring the MyHealthEData initiative to fruition, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) announced the launch of Medicare’s Blue Button 2.0. According to CMS’ Administrator Seema Verma in a CMS Newsroom press release, Blue Button 2.0 is:
A new and secure way for Medicare beneficiaries to access and share their personal health data in a universal digital format. This enables patients who participate in the traditional Medicare program to connect their claims data to the secure applications, providers, services, and research programs they trust.
Blue Button 2.0 allows patients to access and share the following information with a new doctor:
- Healthcare information
- Previous prescriptions
This will help to eliminate physicians performing duplicate tests and will help provide continuity of care.
For more information about the MyHealthData initiative and Blue Button 2.0 technology, read Trump Administration Announces MyHealthEData Initiative at HIMSS18 and Speech: Remarks by CMS Administrator Seema Verma at the HIMSS18 Conference on the CMS website.
Latest posts by Michelle Dick (see all)
- Nursing Home Shopping May Get Easier in April - March 13, 2019
- Build Physician Trust to Medical Code from Home - March 7, 2019
- Medical Coding Manager Explains What Job Hunting Is Like Today - March 6, 2019