Election Time is Here!
October is the month when local chapters elect new leaders. Ensure your chapter runs a fair elections process by following these procedures:
Form an Elections Committee
- The vice president chairs the committee.
- Two other members of the chapter should serve on the committee.
- Speak with all candidates in advance of the meeting. Occasionally candidates are nominated but are unable or uninterested in filling the positions.
- Ensure all candidates are aware of the nominations and are willing to fulfill the responsibilities prior to placing their names on the ballot.
- Paper ballots should be used to ensure the voting is private.
- All candidates should be added to the ballot even if they are running unopposed.
- Ballots should be created in such a way as to require a “yes” or “no” vote for nominees who run unopposed.
- Officers who have agreed to stay on for another term and who are unopposed should be added to the ballot and also have “yes” and “no” added by their names.
Send Absentee Ballots When Requested
- A member that is unable to attend the chapter meeting where elections are held may request an absentee ballot.
- Absentee ballots are not sent to all chapter members, but only by request.
- Absentee ballots must be returned to the officer in charge no later than 24 hours in advance of the scheduled election.
Conduct the Voting at the Chapter Meeting
- Distribute the ballots to all members present at the meeting.
- Visitors from other chapters and non-AAPC members should not be given ballots.
- It is inappropriate to vote using a show of hands.
Count the Ballots and Announce the Winners
- The elections committee should count all ballots and announce the results before the end of the meeting.
- Members of the elections committee who are on the ballot should not participate in the counting of the ballots.
- In the case of a tie, all ballots will be recounted by the elections committee and any member or current chapter officer that is not a current candidate.
- If the tie still stands after the recount, the committee either asks the nominees if one would like to concede or holds another vote.
Upload Election Results on AAPC’s Website
- Within 10 days of the election, but no later than November 30, the current vice president should upload the names of the new officers in the Election Verification Information area on AAPC’s website.
- New officers will receive a pop-up Chapter Officer Agreement once they log into the chapter area of AAPC’s website.
- Once they agree to and accept the terms, the new officers’ names will show online in the list of officers.