New Medicare Enrollment Application
There is a new version of the CMS-855I Medicare Enrollment Application, which physicians and non-physician practitioners may begin using immediately. Medicare Administrative Contractors will accept the previous version of the application (7/2011) through April 30, and then require you to use the new version (12/18).
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) has made the following changes to the form “to reduce provider burden:”
- Reporting for advanced diagnostic imaging, the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments number, and the Food and Drug Administration radiology certification number is no longer required.
- Instructions for individual and group affiliations are expanded.
- In section 4F, you are instructed to include information about all entities to whom you will be reassigning any or all of your Medicare benefits.
- Listing a contact person is optional.
- Information on electronic storage (for those who no longer keep paper records) is added.
- If your current/past Medicare patients’ medical records are stored at a location other than the practice location address given in section 4B, you must provide the name and address of the electronic and/or paper storage location(s) in section 4D.
All physicians and other qualified healthcare professionals (as defined in section 1848(k)(3)(B) of the Social Security Act) must use the CMS-855I (or PECOS) to enroll in the Medicare program and receive a Medicare billing number.
Source: MLN Connects, Jan. 31
- HEALTHCON Regional Prepares Coders and Billers for the Future of Healthcare - October 4, 2021
- Coding and Billing Updates – September 2021 - October 1, 2021
- AAPC’s Member of the Month: Michelle Rivero, CPC, CPMA, AAPC Approved Instructor - October 1, 2021