Where to Find Free and Low Cost CEUs
Everyone is always asking where to find free or low cost CEUs, especially when they are close to their renewal time. There are two places that you can find sources for free and low cost CEUs. The first is your account on the AAPC website. And, Jobs for American Medical Coders has collected an excellent list of free and low cost CEU opportunities in one place so that we can plan and get our CEUs earned and accumulated before it becomes an emergency. They have a wonderful resource for coders, billers, and compliance professionals. Their list can be found at: https://jfamc.org/free-low-cost-ceus/
AAPC CEUs That Are Part of Your Membership
When you log into AAPC.com, you will have the access to a member only part of the AAPC website that is dedicated to Free and Low Cost CEUs. Once you have logged into the AAPC website, go to: https://www.aapc.com/medical-coding-education/help/low-cost-ceus.aspx
- From there, you will be connected to your Local Chapter Meetings and Local Events (blue bar). Don’t forget these local events because not only are they low cost, but they are great opportunities to network with people in your local area. Don’t forget your Local Chapter Programs. May Mania usually costs under $50 and will provide you an opportunity to earn 4-5 CEUs depending on the program your chapter is offering. Some chapters hold a full coding day that provides a full day of education. These symposiums usually cost under $100 and offer 7-8 CEUs.
- Then you can go to the Test Yourself Exercises (orange bar) associated with each Healthcare Business Monthly publication. AAPC’s Healthcare Business Monthly Magazine provides AAPC members the opportunity to earn 1 CEU by taking a quiz after reading the Magazine. The quiz tests your knowledge of the content of the Magazine. Certified members can earn 12 CEUs at no cost, just by reading and taking these quizzes each month. https://www.aapc.com/resources/publications/healthcare-business-monthly/archive.aspx
- Next, you should click on the Quarterly Webinars option (red bar) to watch the AAPC free quarterly webinar and earn one free CEU each quarter. You must be logged in to your AAPC member account to view the free webinar page at: https://www.aapc.com/membership/quarterly-webinar.aspx
- The last hyperlink available on this page are the CMS Web Based Trainings (green bar) which connects you to the Medicare Learning Network at . https://www.cms.gov/Outreach-and-Education/Medicare-Learning-Network-MLN/MLNProducts/WebBasedTraining.html . Many of these free courses have been pre-approved by the AAPC for CEUs.
- Finally, you have the opportunity to search all approved CEU offerings at https://www.aapc.com/medical-coding-education/ and view a list of the AAPC approved vendors at https://www.aapc.com/medical-coding-education/vendors/ so that you can explore other programs that are available
Here is a sample of what Jobs for American Medical Coders have on their site where you can earn your free or very low cost CEUs:
- American Hospital Association (AHA) Continuing Education Webinars which cost approximately $20 per person. More information can be found at: http://www.ahacentraloffice.org/codes/webinars.shtml
- American Medical Billing Association (AMBA) Webinar Series has very interesting topics and they have no cost to attend. The Webinars provide opportunities to earn CEUs through AMBA, AAPC, PMI and PAHCOM. You can find out more information at: https://www.americanmedicalbillingassociation.com/free-webinar
- Boston Scientific offers webinars which offer CEUs. Check it out at: http://www.bostonscientific.com/en-US/reimbursement/reim_webinars.html
- CMS offers webinars which include CEUS as part of the MLN Web-Based Training. Check it out at: https://www.cms.gov/Outreach-and-Education/Medicare-Learning-Network-MLN/MLNProducts/WebBasedTraining.html
- CMS has Training that are specific to AAPC that offer CEUs as well, as part of MLN Network. The AAPC specific classes can be found at: https://www.cms.gov/Outreach-and-Education/Medicare-Learning-Network-MLN/MLNProducts/WebBasedTraining.html
- A subscription to BC Advantage Magazine at a cost of $69.95 per year enables the subscriber to earn over 20 CEUS per year. For more information go to https://www.billing-coding.com/index.cfm
- Codebusters has excellent ICD-10 web-based classes that are rated Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced. They Cost $50 for 5 CEUs approved by AHIMA and AAPC. They can be found at: https://www.cms.gov/Outreach-and-Education/Medicare-Learning-Network-MLN/MLNProducts/WebBasedTraining.html
- HIMAGINE Solutions offers free monthly webinars that include a CEU. You have to register with them to be offered the webinars. Go to http://www.himaginesolutions.com/resource_center and on the bottom of right side menu and there is a section to register with HIMAGINE Solutions. One of the options when registering, you will find: “Interested in registering for our free monthly webinars for CEU credit?” Click “yes” in the drop down and fill out the information. An email will be sent 1-2 weeks before any of the session(s) to let you know.
- Hitnots, LLC offers free online CEUs at http://hitnots.com/
- Medtronic Spine Academy offers a Learning series at no cost that includes courses that includes CEUs approved by AAPC. You can find more information at: https://www.medtronic.com/us-en/healthcare-professionals/products/spinal-orthopaedic/reimbursement/spine-academy.html
- Noridian Medicare Carrier offers CEU Opportunities at no cost. You can find them at: https://med.noridianmedicare.com/web/jeb/education/training-events
- Novitas Medicare Carrier offers CEU Opportunities at no cost. You can find them at: https://www.novitas-solutions.com/webcenter/portal/MedicareJH/pagebyid?contentId=00081812&_adf.ctrl-state=jr04m2284_4&_afrLoop=172186921268228#!
- AAPC Webinar Subscription provides 12 month access to the entire library of more than 120 live and on demand events for $349 per year. Each of the over 120 webinars provide the opportunity to earn 1 CEU. If interested, go to: https://www.aapc.com/medical-coding-education/webinars/annual-webinar-subscription.aspx
- A single AAPC Webinar which provides the opportunity to earn 1 CEU may be purchased for $49 if you do not have an annual subscription to AAPC Webinars. To see the webinars available to sign up for, go to: https://www.aapc.com/medical-coding-education/webinars/
AAPC's annual salary survey gives a good understanding of the earning potential within the medical coding profession.
See what actually is going on in the healthcare business job market.