Increase Your Salary by 20 Percent
Earning an AAPC core certification (CPC, COC, CIC, CRC) opens the door into the medical coding world, but it doesn’t mean your education is complete. As with the science of medicine, the business of healthcare is constantly evolving. Medical coders must adapt and reinvent themselves to keep up with the changes and maintain a competitive edge.
Multiple Credentials Show Expertise
AAPC specialty certifications allow coders to go beyond the CPC to become experts in their specialty field or setting. For example, a COC can be paired with the CASCC or CEDC. If you code for cardiology, the CCC complements the COC, CPC, or CIC. Family practice coders would do well to earn their CPC, CEMC, and CFPC. You get the idea!
Multiple Credentials Expand Job Options
AAPC credentials also allow coders to apply their medical coding skills in other areas such as medical auditing (CPMA), medical documentation (CDEO), compliance (CPCO), or physician practice manager (CPPM). The more you learn, the more you know! And that’s imperative in this business.
Multiple Credentials Pay Off
AAPC’s 2018 Salary Survey revealed that the more AAPC credentials you carry, the higher your salary. The average salary in 2018 of members with:
- 1 credential (CPC) was $54,401
- 2+ credentials (any credentials) was $61,880
- 3+ credentials (any credentials) was $68,016
Multiple certifications show employers you have what it takes to get the job done and do it well. Ready to take your career to the next level? Visit aapc.com/specialty
Latest posts by Alex McKinley (see all)
- Message From Your Region 5 Representatives | Sherrie Anderson & Vanessa Moldovan - November 15, 2019
- Message From Your Region 4 Representatives | Kiosha Forston & Norma Panther - November 15, 2019
- Message From Your Region 4 Representatives: Kiosha Forston and Norma Panther - September 19, 2019
AAPC's annual salary survey gives a good understanding of the earning potential within the medical coding profession.
See what actually is going on in the healthcare business job market.