AMA CPT® Update Includes New and Revised Codes
The American Medical Association (AMA) recently posted on its website updates to several CPT® Category I codes and a listing of Category III codes that extends into 2014.
Category I Code Additions
- 90664 Influenza virus vaccine, pandemic formulation, live, for intranasal use
- 90666 Influenza virus vaccine, pandemic formulation, split virus, preservative free, for intramuscular use
- 90667 Influenza virus vaccine, pandemic formulation, split virus, adjuvanted, for intramuscular use
- 90668 Influenza virus vaccine, pandemic formulation, split virus, for intramuscular use
Category I Code Revisions
Due to U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approval of the pneumococcal conjugate vaccine, the AMA has removed the FDA Approval Pending indicator from CPT® code 90670 Pneumococcal conjugate vaccine, 13 valent, for intramuscular use.
Practices should also be aware that although code 90644 Meningococcal conjugate vaccine, serogroups C & Y and Hemophilus influenza b vaccine, tetanus toxoid conjugate (Hib-MenCY-TT), 4 dose schedule, when administered to children 2-15 months of age, for intramuscular use is slated for the 2011 CPT® book, it is effective Jan. 1.
Note: Code 90644 is listed correctly in the AAPC 2010 Current Procedural Coding Expert book, as is code 90650 Human Papilloma virus (HPV) vaccine, types 16, 18, bivalent, 3 dose schedule, for intramuscular use. The FDA approval pending indicator was removed from code 90650 effective Oct. 16, although it will not appear in the AMA CPT® codebook until 2011.
The FDA approval pending indicator has also been removed from code 90662 Influenza virus vaccine, split virus, preservative free, enhanced immunogenicity via increased antigen content, for intramuscular use. This revision is effective Dec. 23, 2009 and will appear in the CPT® 2011 codebook.
The update notification can be viewed here.
Category III Codes
Updates have been posted to the CPT® Category III codes, including the short descriptors and archive dates. These changes can be viewed here.
- Therapists Gain More Freedom in New Waiver - May 22, 2020
- Message From Your Region 6 Representatives | Pam Tienter and Jean Pryor - January 16, 2020
- Message From Your Region 3 Representatives | Astara Crews and Dianne Estes - January 16, 2020