Greetings from your Region 3 National Advisory Board Members,
Dianne Estes and Astara Crews, Region 3 – Mid-Atlantic NAB Representatives
I hope you have had a wonderful summer and are transitioning well into the change of season. I want to share information from a fantastic trip to Lexington, KY. On July 16, 2019, I visited their local chapter meeting. I saw two of my favorite people at the meeting, David Blackmer with AAPC, and Patricia Hendricksen with Soterion Medical Services. David presented on the AAPC website and its new features, and Pat was my coding teacher way back in 2005. I am thankful that I could listen and hear the latest.
David talked about several features of the website:
- How to assign yourself a local chapter under Profile/Preferences
- Networking and social media links to Facebook and Twitter
- AAPC Forums (and how to up/down vote answers)
- Knowledge Center, which posts 75 articles a month
- Fellowship Program (members with 10 years of experience can apply, recognition without obtaining an additional credential)
- Clearance AAPC items (best buys at beginning and end of the year)
- Find a job section (medical coding jobs)
- Free tools (E/M Utilization tool, salary survey calculator, RVU calculator)
- Mentorship program (free platform, search for dropdown qualities and a match)
- Savings Center (code books, professional liability insurance, CEU’s)
Taking the time to navigate the website will reap many benefits. David talked about the Savings Connection App which uses GPS to locate deals in your area. Many members have not utilized these features, and he brought new aspects for our use.
I am fortunate to live about an hour away from Lexington and can visit their chapter once a year. I also have a local chapter in my hometown of Danville, KY. I’m not able to visit my local chapter each month because of my board obligations, but I am appreciative of their hard work to keep a small chapter so close to me. If you can serve your local chapter in any capacity, please take the opportunity. Both sides will benefit. Local chapters keep us connected to our peers in the industry and help us grow our careers. The knowledge we reap is invaluable!
Dianne Estes, CPC, CPB
Astara Crews, MJ, CHC, CHIAP, CPC
Dianne Estes, CPC, CPB, has worked in healthcare for 17 years and holds a bachelor’s degree in Business Administration. She has worked in billing, coding, and credentialing for Heritage Hospice, Inc., and B. C. Cummins and Co., PLLC. Estes has worked in many areas of coding and billing: professional fee, surgical, diagnostic imaging, behavioral health, and hospice billing, coding, and credentialing. She is a member of the Danville, Ky., local chapter.
Latest posts by Dianne Estes, CPC, CPB (see all)