Twin City Hospitals Accused of Overcharging
Three Minnesota hospitals have agreed to pay the federal government $2.28 million to settle allegations that they overcharged Medicare during a five-year period.
The Minneapolis-St. Paul hospitals previously paid $1.45 million after determining through a self-audit they had overbilled Medicare for the claims. HealthEast Care System, the hospitals’ owner, said that after they became aware of the government’s concerns in June 2007, the company took immediate action to investigate its practices.
The federal agency accuses HealthEast of overcharging kyphoplasties from 2002 to 2007. The procedures, which the federal department said are often performed on an outpatient basis to correct osteoporosis-caused spinal fractures, were allegedly billed at inpatient status to increase the hospitals’ Medicare billings.
For more information, read the full report on the Star Tribune Web site.
- Therapists Gain More Freedom in New Waiver - May 22, 2020
- Message From Your Region 6 Representatives | Pam Tienter and Jean Pryor - January 16, 2020
- Message From Your Region 3 Representatives | Astara Crews and Dianne Estes - January 16, 2020