Wiki 28285 with 28150?

nsteinhauser

Expert
Best answers
All same digit.....the surgeon removed the head of the proximal phalanx to correct hammertoe. Then - because of 'extreme deformity,' the entire middle phalanx was removed. Redundant tendon was shortened and a K-wire was inserted between the distal phalanx and the MPJ.

All through the same incision...... just code the 28285? Or could you also code the 28150 with a -59 for removal of the middle phalanx? Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

:confused:

All same digit.....the surgeon removed the head of the proximal phalanx to correct hammertoe. Then - because of 'extreme deformity,' the entire middle phalanx was removed. Redundant tendon was shortened and a K-wire was inserted between the distal phalanx and the MPJ.

All through the same incision...... just code the 28285? Or could you also code the 28150 with a -59 for removal of the middle phalanx? Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

:confused:

I would code 28150-59. here is how I think: 28285 includes removal of head of proximal phalanx, and 28150 is for removal of middle phalanx. Even though it was done through the same incison, it is a different anatomical part. I would also submit this claim on paper with Op report attached.