• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..
  • Important Note: We will be performing a scheduled maintenance on 30th Nov, 2021. The site will be offline from 8:30PM (MT) till 10:30 PM MT. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

30801 included in 30520??

philnamba

Contributor
Best answers
We are getting a denial from Aetna showing that cautherization of the inner nose (30801) is included in the repair of nasal septum(30520)...can anyone give me any guidence? When I look up the two codes in my coder's desk reference, it does not say that we do the cautherization with the repair.

Last edited:

evonp

Best answers
EvonP

According to both CCI and Part B edits 30801 is not included in 30520.

CPT/HCPCS to CCI Code Check
Code / Description
30520 REPAIR OF NASAL SEPTUM M Non-Facility RVU: 14.67
No bundling issues exist
30801 ABLATE INF TURBINATE, SUPERF M Non-Facility RVU: 5.42
No bundling issues exist

Unless Aetna is making their own coding edits and not following CCI/Part B edits ,these codes should not be bundled. I would definately appeal this...maybe call Aetna (or check your contract with them if you can) and ask what coding edits they are using because the industry standard edits (CCI/Part B edits) do not bundle these codes. Good luck!