Wiki 5 Fr

Does anybody have a clue if documentation says Dr So and So placed 5 Fr can I bill for this and what is it?

Fr is short for French, which is a measurement of the size of a needle or catheter, so 5 Fr is the size, but this doesn't say what it was that was placed. Do you have additional documentation? If not, you'd need to query the provider for the missing information.

That is all that comes on a sheet. 5Fr placed via ultrasound by Dr. S. They seem to think that they can bill for this? Because they were talking to another practice or two and they said they bill for it. I would image it would need documentation like the ART and CVP/PA CATH . Which doesn't come with any other documentation than what I mentioned
I understand it the size of needle or catheter is a size. But what are they doing with it? So basically which is what I told them I need more info.

Found out a little more info. Takes some time to place this and it is placed deep in a vien of the arm. Like for difficult IV access for vaso and possibly other drugs that they can't place through a normal IV? Mini picc line?? Midline cath??

Last edited:
You need to see the actual procedure note to code this as you also need a diagnosis code to go with it.
Doctor needs to file a report if s/he wants to bill for it.