Wiki 80104 (multiple drug classes)

asteele813

Contributor
Best answers
For the CPT code 80104- Drug screening qualitative multiple drug classes other than chromatographic method, each procedure.

What do they mean by Multiple drug classes?

Kinda confused about single drug class method and multiple drug classes.

Thank you
Amanda

After 1005 views to this question, it is very discouraging that no one offered information. I wish I had some information to share. Too many questions go without replies.

It means that one test screens for more than one drug class. There are I believe 13 drug classes, and they are listed in CPT along with the code for one drug class. The drug classes are: alcohols, amphetamines, barbiturates, benzodiazepines, cocaine and metabolites, methadones, methaqualones, opiates, phencyclidines, phenothiazines, propoxyphenes, tetrahydrocannabinoids, and tricyclic antidepressants. So one unit of 80104 would include tests of 2 or more of these classes of drugs, you just have to make sure that the drugs you are testing for don't all come from the same class. And if you perform more than one test using different methods (one immunoassay, and one enzyme assay), you would be able to bill multiple units. Does that make sense?