Wiki 82274 when to bill

hsmith67

Guru
Best answers
If provider gives patient tubes for specimen collection for fecal occult blood they either: a) obtain specimen and return to office or b) don't bother with specimen collection. My question is: do I bill 82274 based on giving the patient tubes (provider has incurred expense and expense has walked out the door with patient) or do I bill based on specimen returning and results obtained? Problem is non-compliant patients. Provider pays for tubes, patient takes them home, throws in trash. This is rare, but it does happen. I think I know the answer, but I am in the middle of an argument that makes some valid points. Just want a fellow AAPC member to help me settle the score.

Unfortunately, you can not bill the patient when giving them the tubes. You can only bill when the specimen is returned.

Sharon Hunter, CPC

Thanks

Thanks for your help! I thought that was the correct answer to begin with, but I wanted provider to hear from someone besides just me.
Hunter

What if they return 2 out of 3 cards? Can you bill at that point or do you have to wait until all cards are returned?