Wiki 83789 - Number of units, 1 or 10?

sab001

Networker
Best answers
We are considering the use of 83789 to obtain values for 10 different bile acids (each being a different analyte that is individually reported.) We would use mass spectrometry and tandem mass spectrometry to perform this test.

Those ordering the test would send us 1 tube of plasma (approx. 2cc)

Since 10 different analytes are tested and reported, can we multiply the units by 10?

Yes you may if it's a quantitative analysis provided. The 83789 is Mass spectrometry and tandem mass spectrometry, not elsewhere specified, analyte not elsewhere specified; quantitative, each specimen.
You would like to do a quantitative on each specimen - billing out 83789x10 each time. You may want to find out from your payers which one will pay for multiples. Also when billing it out - do not use the 91 modifier, you will want to use the 59 modifier and you will also want to provide a procedure description on each analyte you are testing. I have a small list of labs with multiples like this that the only reason I touch them "before they go out the door" is to add a procedure description so I don't have to battle a denial on the return. Best way to gauge something is to send it out the door and review the denial & if necessary make a call to the insurance company to get the specifics....Good Luck!!!
Thanks,
Dana Chock CPC, CCA, CANPC, CHONC
Anesthesia, Pathology, and Laboratory Coder