Wiki AAOS articles on 29806

JenReyn99

Guru
Best answers
I need solid proof that 29806 can be billed for a labrum repair that isn't a SLAP repair. This is the information I have read all over the place, but I can't find any reputable sources to prove that this is in fact the case. Does anyone have an AAOS article links, or any other sources that you use in appeals on these? Please help! Thanks! :0)

No solid proof

I have researched this question several times over last few years and cannot find a definitive answer.

I have found answers to this question from what I would consider "reliable" sources which conflict each other.

I have found that yes you should bill 29806 for labral tear other than slap.AND some have said no you never bill 29806 labral tear other than slap.

I am assuming you have already researched this yourself, which is why you are so confused, the fact is .......it is confusing!

I personally DO use it for labral tears other than slap and that is based on looking at an open repair of labrum for "Bankart" procedure 23455, it sends you to 29806 if done arthroscopically... and there are many different types of "Bankart" lesions. I do have an email from Margie Scalley-Vaught listing these different types of "Bankart" lesions, as I have emailed her in the past asking her opinion regarding this question. I can fax if you want. Send me private message with your info.

I also have the same info as plaidman...and was also told by a consultant that a SLAP 29807 is a SLAP and will be specified as such -superior labrum anterior to posterior and that other labrum repair is typically anterior/inferior repair/29806. Hope this helps.

All of you guys have been so helpful! Thanks for the input, I feel like I have a better grasp on what I'm talking about now! I think I will continue to use the 29806 for labral other than SLAP, I think this is the most consistent answer I've found, and from that AAOS bulliten, I think that is correct. Thanks!