Wiki AAOS presenter saying that pre-op visits are billable?

Orthocoderpgu

True Blue
Best answers
I heard a rumor that a speaker at the AAOS conference is telling the physicians that pre-op visits are billable (like 99213) and should be billed. Can anyone out there confirm this?

I heard a rumor that a speaker at the AAOS conference is telling the physicians that pre-op visits are billable (like 99213) and should be billed. Can anyone out there confirm this?

There must be a misunderstanding but in case, anyone is concerned about what is correct; here is advice from CPT Assistant from March 2015.
"Scenario 2 (Examples 1 and 2)
When the surgeon sees a patient and makes a decision for surgery, and the patient returns for a visit where the intent of the visit is the preoperative H&P, and this service occurs in the interval between the decision-making visit and the day of surgery, regardless of when the visit occurs (eg, 1 day, 3 days, or 2 weeks), the visit is not separately reported because it is included in the surgical package.
Example 1
The surgeon sees the patient on March 1 and makes a decision for surgery. Surgery is scheduled for April 1. The patient returns to the office on March 27 for the H&P, consent signing, and any needed clarification.
How to Code
The E/M services on March 1 are reported with modifier 57, Decision for Surgery. The visit on March 27 is not reported because it is the preoperative H&P visit and is included in the surgical package."

A pre-op visit with the surgeon is not the same as a preoperative consultation where the surgeon asks another physician to clear the patient for surgery (e.g., patient with heart disease cleared by primary care or cardiologist) or provide opinion on necessary pre- or post-operative management of co-morbidity like diabetes.

I hope that helps.
Cindy