Wiki Abbreviations help for exam portion of E&M

KATE1214

Best answers
Does anyone out there know if there is someplace where there is a "most popular" list of abbreviations Dr's use when they are doing their office notes. I am talking about things like HSM, PERRLE, EOMI (I have these already). Is there even a "standard" that the docs should be using?

Thanks for your help everyone!

Kate

I have seen PERRL PERRLA PERLA PERRLE all referring to the same thing, but I am not sure if there is a standard they are supposed to use. There really should be...

Also, wikipedia is obviously no substitute for offical documents, but they have an extensive list of medical abbreviations which might be helpful in your research...

Have a list of approved Abbrv

Your practice should have a list of approved abbreviations and require physicians to adhere to that approved list. If it is not on the list, then their documentation has to use the full term without abbreviation. We've adopted the approved list from the hospital at which our providers have priveleges ... so we don't have to have two sets of "approved" abbreviations, and physicians don't have to remember where they are documenting and which abbreviation to use (or not use).

Hope that helps.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC