Wiki Accident vs. trauma coding

vmatt

Networker
Best answers
I code in a radiology setting and I am having the darnest time deciding when to use the trauma codes (959.) and when to code just the accident (V71.4). Reason for exam on report is "kicked in nose". Would you code accident or trauma?

Thanks, Vici

hmm good question. I would go with trauma based on only what you have documented here.

We dont know if the patient was kicked in the nose purposely....or accidently. If it were a fight, then it was purposely...if he were kick boxing, it could be an accident.

however...in both scenarios above, the patient incurred trauma to the nose.

I say trauma.

just my thought process
Mary

Don't you think that 'Kicked' in the nose would be an assault code V71.6?
For trauma you would always want the words 'injury'.

I would use V71.6 along with s/s and E-codes if the provider did not document a dx
otherwise, always use an injury code when the provider documents an injury occurred.
I code in a radiology setting and I am having the darnest time deciding when to use the trauma codes (959.) and when to code just the accident (V71.4). Reason for exam on report is "kicked in nose". Would you code accident or trauma?

Thanks, Vici

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your help. I can tell that we are split as to injury vs accident and will code accordingly. Thanks again for your input