• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We're introducing new features and a new look to make the forums easier to use and more valuable to you. See what's new and let us know what you think!

Acute Exacerbation of Chronic Bronchitis

Mmljar

Contributor
Best answers
Acute Exacerbation of Chronic Bronchitis: Would that be 491.21 even though the physician did not specify "obstructive"?

Thank you!

jbaird

Networker
Best answers
I would not use the obstructive code unless that is stated. I would use the 491.9. You don't want to be the one diagnosing them with COPD if they don't have it in their medical records.

junebug1969

Networker
Best answers
I agree that I wouldn't code COPD unless it is documented; however, I think the "acute exacerbation" would cause me to query the physician. I don't think I've ever seen that outside of a COPD patient when referring to bronchitis. Just a thought...