Wiki Anesthesia Administered in Office

snodine

Contributor
Best answers
Hi all, My Anesthesiologist has been asked to perform Anesthesia is an office surgical suite which would be billed as POS 11 (office). Does anyone know if Medicare and other payers allow Anesthesia Administration codes to be billed in POS 11 and cover them in that POS ?

Thanks,

Susan CPC

I don't bill for anesthesia, and maybe someone who does can confirm if there are specific billing requirements.
Anesthesiologists work in and bill for services POS 11 all the time. Every OBS suite is POS 11 (we used to have an AAAASF suite in our office). The anesthesia group would definitely perform Medicare cases, and commercial cases as long as they were participating with the insurance. I think the only issue would be insurance participation. If you're not par and the plan doesn't have out of network benefits, you won't get payment. If you're not par and the plan does have out of network benefits, it will be subject to the out of network patient responsibility (deductible and co-insurance).
I hope this helps & someone who has firsthand knowledge can confirm.

In general: Yes you may bill anesthesia services in the office. However, there may be strict coverage requirements. For example interventional pain management procedures for adults. I've also seen one payer that now coverage for anesthesia for screening colonoscopy.