• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..
  • Important Note: We will be performing a scheduled maintenance on 30th Nov, 2021. The site will be offline from 8:30PM (MT) till 10:30 PM MT. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Anesthesia Coding for a delivery

Amanda_Kentch

Contributor
Best answers
I just want a second opinion on how to code a delivery of twins. The first twin was born vaginal and the second twin was born c-section due to complications. How would I could this as the anesthesiologist?
01968?

tmfoster

Best answers
anesthesia for delivery

i am going to agree with the anesthesia codes used...however, i think i would need a bit more information from you in order to code the deliveries. if second child had to be born by c-section because of complications then you would need to code that delivery/pregnancy with a complication code (ie. shoulder dystocia, malposition, umbilical cord c/o.....) tammy

hgolfos

Guru
Best answers
I agree, in general, with the codes 01967 and 01968. The only thing I would add is that the codes you use may depend on the carrier. Many carriers have different requirements for labor turned c-section. For instance, I code charges for several different states and each medicaid program has a different set of guidelines for this situation. So, the best thing to do is to check with the carrier.