aortogram with runoff

nc_coder

Expert
Best answers
I have a physician that documents that he does an aortogram "with runoff". What does the "with runoff" mean? He codes it as 75625. Would this be correct? If you could provide a source of information where I can go look this up, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

The run-offs are studies of the extremities. There is a code that includes the extremities (75630). I unfortunately, don't have a lot of experience with that study, but maybe that can at least direct you as to where to look. Our centers tend to perform CT angiography with run-offs (73635).

Runoff would be into the lower ext arteries. The correct CPTs would depend on where the cath was placed and ended up. If the cath and injection was only performed in the abd aorta with a runoff of bilat lower ext then you would charge 75630 (and 36200 if you are charging the catheter portion as well) however if they perform an injection into the abd aorta then pull the cath down into the pelvic/iliac area in order to perform another injection for the lower ext runoff then you would charge 75625 & 75716 (or 75710 if only unilat lower ext) (and 36200 if you are charging the catheter protion as well). If he/she places the cath anywhere else then those codes could change however based on the info you provided I would use the examples above.