Are posting charges included in coding duties?

vwp0755

New
Best answers
Currently the coders in my office (a Diagnostic Imaging Center) code operative reports and pass them to data entry to actually post charges to patient accounts. I would love some feedback regarding coding/charge entry procedures where other coders work. Thanks in advance.

kevbshields

Best answers
Because I work in a hospital HIMS department (although I've worked many other places previously), I do not post charges to accounts. That is the Billers' responsibility.

I will also point out that I have only worked at a single facility where posting was performed by coders and that was only on an "as needed," (data entry backup) or account correction basis.

Last edited:

scorrado

Expert
Best answers
I work in a multispecialty clinic and all of us in the business office not only do coding but we post the charges in the computer as well. I guess we would be classified as Coder/Billers.

cmartin

Guru
Best answers
I also work in a general surgery practice, and I do not post the charges. It probably varies a lot by such things as size of practice and type of software being used.
Connie Martin CPC,GENSG

jifnif

Expert
Best answers
I work in a small office and I code and post but I also have to answer phones, post charges, submit to insurances and take care of drs scheduling. Also, I plan meetings and make the travel arrangements for all of our drs. :) I wish the pay compensated for all of that!!!!

hgerdes

New
Best answers
Currently the coders in my office (a Diagnostic Imaging Center) code operative reports and pass them to data entry to actually post charges to patient accounts. I would love some feedback regarding coding/charge entry procedures where other coders work. Thanks in advance.
I work for a large Cardiology practice and right now we have 6 certified coders and we all code the op reports and post the charges.

hgerdes

New
Best answers
Coders and Posters

In the Cardiology practice I work for the coders code the op reports and then we also post them. We work closely with the AR team on the denials/appeals.
Hope this helps. :)