Arterial cutdown for carotid stent

brittany1356

Networker
Best answers
Hello.
My doctor performed a cutdown anterior to the sternoclediomastoid, and then a stent was placed percutaneously into the internal carotid atery. I am trying to find a code to bill for the cutdown. Because the stent was still placed purcutaneously I will still bill 37215. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thank you :)

Brittany L, CPC-A

jewlz0879

True Blue
Best answers
I'm not sure you can bill for that. The only cutdown code I'm aware of is 34812 and that's for femoral artery cutdown. Maybe consider a 22 if he did the cutdown because of other problems preventing him from going percutaneous. Other than that, I would just bill the 37215.

HTH

dpeoples

True Blue
Best answers
I'm not sure you can bill for that. The only cutdown code I'm aware of is 34812 and that's for femoral artery cutdown. Maybe consider a 22 if he did the cutdown because of other problems preventing him from going percutaneous. Other than that, I would just bill the 37215.

HTH

I agree with Jewlz. There is no code for the cutdown, you would have to code unlisted. However, if you did bill a unlisted code, you would end up sending a report to the payor who may or may not agree the extra code was warranted. Trying modifier 22 is probably your best chance at additional reimbursement.

HTH :)