Wiki Arthroscopic long head biceps tenotomy

coders_rock!

Best answers
Can someone please help me with the CPT code for an arthroscopic long head biceps tenotomy? At first I used 29999, but the insurance company denied it for not billing the right CPT code. Please help?

Can someone please help me with the CPT code for an arthroscopic long head biceps tenotomy? At first I used 29999, but the insurance company denied it for not billing the right CPT code. Please help?

you are correct w/ CPT 29999. But now, if there is a debridement of biceps after relese you can capture 29822 debridement

Karen Zupko & Associates Coding Coach addresses this topic with the February 7th Q&A.

here's the link and here's the related question and answer.

http://www.karenzupko.com/resources/codingcoach/cc_ortho.html

The Orthopaedic Coding Coach 2013 Archives
Biceps Tenotomy and SAD
February 7, 2013

Question:
Our surgeon performed and documented an arthroscopic biceps tenotomy and arthroscopic subacromial bursectomy. I read in a journal recently that the tenotomy should be reported with an unlisted code and I do not think that is right. We value the advice we receive from Mary LeGrand and Margi Maley and was wondering if they might be able to help us.

Answer:
Thanks for your comments and support of KZA! You are correct to question the advice you read as it is incorrect. An arthroscopic biceps tenotomy is not reported with an unlisted code; it is considered part of a debridement service reported with CPT code 29822 or 29823 depending on the extent of work. An arthroscopic subacromial bursectomy is not reported with CPT code 29826 but is again reported as a debridement service. Two debridement codes cannot be reported for the same surgical session, so report either 29823 or 29822 for the service encompassing the tenotomy and the bursectomy based on the surgeon's documentation