• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..
  • Important Note: We will be performing a scheduled maintenance on 1st November 2020. The site will be offline from 7:30PM (MT) till midnight. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

arthroscopy on bony pelvis

bear

New
Best answers
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows the best code to use for an arthroscopic procedure on the bony pelvis (cpt code). Our anesthesiologist wants 6 base units.

Thanks,

Susan

Anna Weaver

True Blue
Best answers
bony pelvis

The code I come up with for anesthesia for procedures on bony pelvis is 01120 and this is 6 base units. The only thing I come up with for surgery is 29999 unlisted arthroscopy procedure. Anyone else get a better one?

jdrueppel

Expert
Best answers
First, confirm the surgical procedure with the operative report. Arthroscopy by definition is the surgical scope of a "joint". If this was actually the hip you will only get 4 base with CPT codes 29860-29863 / ASA 01202. You may be able to increase your base units to 5 units if the patient was in any position besides supine or lithotomy per ASA billing guidelines. Payment of this additional unit is also dependent on the payer and/or contractual policies you may have with the payer.