• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..
  • Important Note: We will be performing a scheduled maintenance on 1st November 2020. The site will be offline from 7:30PM (MT) till midnight. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Bilateral Carotid Angio

amym

Best answers
I am not sure if the physician provided enough documentation to bill this but here is the reprot:

Procedure Performed: Arch Aortography, Bilateral Internal Carotid Angio

Summary
Arch Vessels: Left Internal Carotid: There was a 60% stenosis
Right Internal Carotid: There was a 85% stenosis. The lesion was irregularly contoured and calcified.

Aorta: Aortic arch: Normal. The segment was type A.

Procedure:
1. Right femoral artery access. The puncture site was infiltrated with local anesthetic. The vessel was accessed using the modifier Seldinger technique.
2. Arch aortography. A catheter was placed and contrast was injected.
3. Bilateral Internal Carotid Angio.

No complications.

Please help!

Best answers
If you can show that he "parked" in the carotid wouldn't you use 36216? You wouldn't use 36200 if you are to code the furthest he went in the vessels, correct? I would think because he states Internal Carotid, it would be 36216 and 75650 for the arch, and 75671 (cerebral is internal) for the bilateral carotid. Thanks!

Cyndi113

True Blue
Best answers
From what I see on the report, the farthest the cath went was the arch. 93567 is an add on code and cannot be billed with 75671. So, 36200 and 75671 and 75650. Sorry

donnajrichmond

True Blue
Best answers
I am not sure if the physician provided enough documentation to bill this but here is the reprot:

Procedure Performed: Arch Aortography, Bilateral Internal Carotid Angio

Summary
Arch Vessels: Left Internal Carotid: There was a 60% stenosis
Right Internal Carotid: There was a 85% stenosis. The lesion was irregularly contoured and calcified.

Aorta: Aortic arch: Normal. The segment was type A.

Procedure:
1. Right femoral artery access. The puncture site was infiltrated with local anesthetic. The vessel was accessed using the modifier Seldinger technique.
2. Arch aortography. A catheter was placed and contrast was injected.
3. Bilateral Internal Carotid Angio.

No complications.

Please help!
This needs to go back to the doctor.
Did he select either of the carotids? If so, common or internal?
Internal carotid is partly cervical, partly cerebral, and he doesn't say here what part/s he imaged, so you don't know whether or not to code 75671 or 76580 or both.

Best answers
I am confused, you mentioned 93567? I think if you can ask the doctor to amend report to reflect going to the carotid it would be worth while for him and RVU values! I agree, report is vague, ask him to confirm, I just had one where my doc needed to do an addendum and I was able to bill the carotid placement.