Wiki Billing 29877 instead of 29880/29881

sdomel159

Networker
Best answers
Hey, I have a physician that is challenging us on this issue. He is wanting to bill 29877 instead of 29881. I know there was an article that addressed this in the Orthopedic Coders Pink Sheet June 2012 - would someone be willing to copy and paste the article in response to this message? We are not subscribers to this publication but I would love to have this article. Thanks for your help!

He performed a meniscectomy and a chondroplasty. In my opinion the intent of the procedure was the meniscectomy. He performed and documented both procedures. Does anyone have access to Orthopedic Coders Pink Sheet June 2012? Thanks!

the new CPT codes for menisectomy for 2012 state includes chrondroplasty as a part of the menisectomy procedure, therefore the correct code is the menisectomy with chondroplasty code the 29881/29880, and not just the 29877. So to answer your question you cannot code just the 29877 when the 29881/29880 has been documented, regardless of the intent, the code is based on the procedure performed and documented.

I agree that 29877 is included in 29881 - I just need documentation to satisfy my physician that we can not bill 29877 instead of 29881.

So does someone have access to Orthopedic Coders Pink Sheet June 2012?

thanks

My 2012 Ingenix Current Procedural Coding Expert manual shows the description of a 29881/29880 as:

- with meniscectomy (medial OR lateral, including any meniscal shaving) including debridement/shaving of articular cartilage (chondroplasty), same or separate compartment(s), when performed.
and a 29880:

- with meniscectomy (medial AND lateral, including any meniscal shaving) including debridement/shaving of articular cartilage (chondroplasty), same or separate compartment(s), when performed.

So if your coding book shows a code description like this, there's your proof.. No pink sheet needed.