• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We're introducing new features and a new look to make the forums easier to use and more valuable to you. See what's new and let us know what you think!

Billing 76819 and 59025

mar53tha

Contributor
Best answers
I'm looking at claims from a facility that routinely bills for a BPP without an NST (76819) and then bills separately for the NST (59025), with a 59 modifier. The services are taking place in two different areas of the hospital (radiology and the OB floor). In the majority of the cases there are normal ultrasound findings (8/8), yet the NST is still performed. In addition I have two different physician charges; one bills for the BPP only and another bills for the NST (both use the 26 Modifier). There is no TC attaached to the facility claims. My questions are: 1. Isn't this unbundling, and 2. Shouldn't there be a medical indication for performing both tests (i.e. if either initial test is normal or reassuring why is a second procedure being performed? 3. Shouldn't the facility claims have a TC attached?

thanks in advance for any insight you can give me on this!