Wiki Billing a New preventive visit with a new or established office visit

ttcoding

Networker
Best answers
I have a question concerning billing a new patient preventive visit with a new pt E/M at the same time. I was told that I could not bill these two together as new but I should bill the preventive as new and the E/M as established even though they happen during the same encounter. I have researched through the CPT book and cannot find evidence that this would be true. Can anyone help?:confused:

No, that is not correct. I have dealt with this issue many times. A new patient is a new patient. Check the CPT narrative for Preventive Medicine Services. If a patient comes in for a well check and an abnormality is found or if for instance the patient complains of burning with urination and the Dr. does an assessment and treats the patient for a UTI, then the appropriate level of E&M should be charged (99201-99205) and you will need to append modifier 25 along with billing for the new patient Preventive Med E&M code 99381-99387. You may not get paid though, the payor may still bundle them together.

example

99202-25