• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We're introducing new features and a new look to make the forums easier to use and more valuable to you. See what's new and let us know what you think!

Billing for 1st Assist-Bariatric sx


Best answers
We have a physician who is acting as the "1st assist" physician for cases. It was my understanding for 2 phy's to bill for a sx case there needs to be evidence of "no available resident to assist, complicated case. Does anyone know what is to be considered the required documentation and which part of the chart does it need to be in....(op report, medical chart, HCFA etc). In the event of an audit where would they be looking for this documentation? Thanks for any help!!
Milwaukee WI
Best answers
Are you in a teaching hospital?

IF you are in a teaching hospital, then yes, the primary surgeon must indicate in the operative report that there was no qualified resident available in order to be a credentialed provider as assist. In that case you would use the -82 modifier. The required documentation is as simple as: In the absence of a qualified resident, Dr XXX assisted in this procedure by___(whatever s/he did)___.

If you are NOT in a teaching hospital you have no worries (at least with regards to documenting lack of qualified resident).

Hope that helps.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC