Wiki Billing for a specimen that did not survive pro essing

whitney1802

Best answers
If a specimen is embedded and a slide is cut but no tissue has survived upon tech examination, then confirmed by pathologist, we can bill for TC on say 88305 right!? If a special stain was also done prior to pathologist’s examination due to rule out ordered by referring physician are we able to bill for the TC on that stain or does it fall on the tech who processed the H&E to not stain due to no tissue after processing? I hope I’ve made myself clear lol.

Last edited:
GI multiple polyps

I am a pathology coder - one of our pathologists insists he can bill for multiple polyps submitted in one container. These polyps are not marked or identified separately within the container. Specimen submitted: colon polyps (2). He reports them as Tubular Adenomas X2 and wants to bill 88305 x2. I disagree as they are NOT separately identified within the container. Appreciate input on this?

I am a pathology coder - one of our pathologists insists he can bill for multiple polyps submitted in one container. These polyps are not marked or identified separately within the container. Specimen submitted: colon polyps (2). He reports them as Tubular Adenomas X2 and wants to bill 88305 x2. I disagree as they are NOT separately identified within the container. Appreciate input on this?

They can only be billed as one 88305