Wiki Billing for a Temporary PA

Best answers
Hello,

Our current PA is going out on maternity leave this summer and we are trying to get everything set up for a temporary PA to see her patients while she's out. Our current PA is credentialed with all insurance and bills under her individual NPI. I had told my office manager that we will need to get started on credentialing this new PA as soon as possible so that everything is ready by May, but now she is asking me if there's any way we can avoid this.

Specifically, she wants to know if the temporary PA can just bill under one of the MDs. Since these are the PA's patients who have never seen the MD and do not meet incident to criteria, I told her that we would not be able to bill under the MD.

She also asked if we can append the Q6 modifier to bill these claims under our current PA's NPI, but everything I have found says that this modifier can only be used by MDs and DOs.

I don't think that there is any way to get around credentialing a temporary PA, but she's asking me to confirm with AAPC. Can anybody verify?

Thank you!