• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..
  • Important Note: We will be performing a scheduled maintenance on 1st November 2020. The site will be offline from 7:30PM (MT) till midnight. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Billing for Allograft

judithdoss

Best answers
Is it legit to bill for 2 allografts in one surgery? The surgeon did an anterior and a posterior fusion. We billed for 20930 and 20931. The insurance paid for one and denied the other stating a graft can only be billed once per date of service. I need to appeal and thought that this would be legit as it was done anterior and posterior-two separate incisions. If yes, what supporting documentation can I send besides the op note.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Judith L. Doss, CPC
OAD Orthopaedics

ceejay413

Best answers
According to a Webinar my department just listened to, you can only bill a specific graft once per session (i.e.- you can't bill 20930 twice), however, you can bill 20930-20937 individually during the same session (so you can bill 20930 and 20931 together).

In your situation, though, it's different- because it was two different approaches, it's two different sessions, so you can bill 20930 twice if necessary.

Mbort was correct, though, you'll want to add a -59 modifier for it, especially because if thephysician did a posterior and anterior approach, they're completely different sessions (they have to flip the patient, re-drape, re-scrub, etc...), so the -59 modifier can be used to specify that you're working not only in two different locations, but also in two different sessions.

Hope that helps some...