Billing for G0444 and documented time

cnramsey

Guru
Best answers
I have read thru a lot of the other forums and this is what I'm getting.

If the time is documented (at least 8 minutes) by adding up and documenting the time the patient took to fill out the PHQ9 form, MA to enter it into the EHR and the time provider spent going over the results with the patient. We can bill G0444 to MDCR as long as this patient has never been diagnosed with depression. G0444 can only be coded for screening for depression.

I see the PHQ9 tests in the patients charts all the time. But there is never a time mentioned and our providers are not picking the G0444 to bill.

I'm trying to find out if we are missing out on billing the G0444 due to the lack of documentation for the time. We thought the up to 15 mins had to be the provider only. But after reading the other forums sounds like time starts when the patient comes and starts filling out the form. I'm hoping this is true and I can educate my providers and find out if the three (Pt/MA/Provider) adds up to 8 mins and if so they can bill for the G0444.

Thank you,
Nichole

SharonCollachi

True Blue
Best answers
You don't get to bill for something the patient does on their own, such as fill out a form in the waiting room. If you look at the Medlearn Article on this, you'll find that the time involved includes support and coordinating care.

cnramsey

Guru
Best answers
You don't get to bill for something the patient does on their own, such as fill out a form in the waiting room. If you look at the Medlearn Article on this, you'll find that the time involved includes support and coordinating care.
I had read the article and it didn’t mention breaking it up. I had only read it in their forum. So I was just trying to see if this was true. Thank you for responding to my post.