Wiki Billing for telephone psychotherapy for calls less than 16minutes

ljhaley@gmail.com

Networker
Best answers
Hello everyone!
I have been reading CMS, and psychiatry.org and a few other resource sites regarding billing for telephone psychotherapy for less than 16 minutes. Most sites say for anything less than 16 minutes-do not report. From 16 min-37 min report 90832. Here's the scenario- we have an out of town college student that phones in (NOT interactive video) to speak with his counselor and quite often its only for 3, 4, 5, 9 or 13 min calls. Are we NOT allowed to bill for these at all? does it HAVE to be at least 16 min to bill for? Or should we be using E&M codes like 99211/99212/99213? Again pt is NOT face to face, not video, just a phone call. He calls a few times a month-is there some way to combine these and bill? Appreciate any help you can give. thanks!

Barbara and mitchellde THANK YOU!!! That was super helpful- both the validation of the "no bill for less than 16" rule, and providing coding guidance to exactly what I need! I saw those T-phone consult codes in my CPT book, but no one here ever used them... Grateful thanks!

Last edited: