• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We’re introducing new features and a new look to make the forums easier to use and more valuable to you. See what's new and let us know what you think!

billing guideliness for breathing treatment

Best answers
In a family practice setting-if a patients comes in for bronchitis and they are wheezing and we do a breathing treatment and a chest xray what is the appropriate way to bill this? Can we bill the E/M with mod. 25, and the breathing treatment w/mod. 59?

Best answers
That is the way we have been billing it, but now we are starting to get denials. Is anyone else having this issue?

Best answers
I usually add modifier -25 to E/M code, make sure you add the NDC to Albuterol, I don't use modifier -59 and my claims get paid.

I hope this helps.

Best answers
Thank you........:),I just wanted to clarify, if I bill a 99213 -25, w/diagnosis asthma, bronchitis, and uri-then the breathing treatment 94640 w/ a diagnosis of wheezing. should this be billable? or can I only bill the breathing treatment? And if I can only bill the breathing treatment does the E/M visit need to be something completely unrelated to anything respiratory in order to bill both the E/M and the breathing treatment :confused: